If it involves some kind of fibre chances are I've at least tried it. This blog follows my adventures in sewing, dying, weaving, spinning, knitting and the rest. The best way to learn is by doing, well actually from learning from other peoples' mistakes, but when that isn't available...
Please, learn from my escapades!

Friday 8 July 2011

pattern hunting

So I bought a simplicity pattern for dress pants.  I have a book by "Sewing with Nancy" that shows you step by step how to adjust patterns and I wanted to try and see if I can come up with a dress pant pattern just for little old me.  As I was hunting I came across a Vogue pattern that was labeled "couture".  Is that not a bit of a, oh I don't know,  Lie?  It's a Vogue pattern for goodness sake.  That's only a step away from buying off of the rack.  The waistband was straight (unlike the curved band design I picked up from the Simplicity pattern) and the only thing that made it adjustable was the size of the pleats.  sigh.  Why are words so misused?  Don't know what the term Couture means?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haute_couture
It's actually pretty specific.  I can't qualify my stuff as couture even though I make to order with specifics to my client, pay attention to detail, and use quality materials.
So if you see this label somewhere.  Chances are they're using it wrong and know very well what it should refer to.  Just my two cents.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled sewing program.  I flew through four tunics yesterday and four pairs of pants today.  Tomorrow's a day off as we're heading out to an event.  Maybe I'll bring some hand work or something.  I just had my tattoo filled in on my upper arm and it's still healing so fencing would unfortunately probably be a bad idea.  At this rate I won't fence until Pennsic.  I'll take the missed occasions rather than an infection though.  So be it.  It looks good.  We just have to finish it later after the wedding I'm standing in.  I don't think a scabbed and peeling tattoo would look too nice in the wedding photos ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment