If it involves some kind of fibre chances are I've at least tried it. This blog follows my adventures in sewing, dying, weaving, spinning, knitting and the rest. The best way to learn is by doing, well actually from learning from other peoples' mistakes, but when that isn't available...
Please, learn from my escapades!

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Pennsic projects

I'm just about through washing all the laundry from two weeks at Pennsic.  I taught naalbinding twice this year and had some nice class sizes of 12 and 8, as opposed to the 40 that showed up last year.  That was nerve wracking.  The fibery-goodness day went quite well.  I was in the natural dyeing tent and had my first successful indigo dyebath.  I wanted to make some more green with my weld and that turned out just fine too.  I've discovered that logwood with alum makes a very pretty purple.  Here's the indigo in the dyebath and out of it:

People found the "magical colour change" of indigo fascinating.  It actually made a really good demo and I think I should do it for local demos too.  I think it would make a really good educational and memorable day for some people.  The colour change is cool and reminds me of a Hello Kitty toy I had as a kid that changed colours in hot/cold water ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment