If it involves some kind of fibre chances are I've at least tried it. This blog follows my adventures in sewing, dying, weaving, spinning, knitting and the rest. The best way to learn is by doing, well actually from learning from other peoples' mistakes, but when that isn't available...
Please, learn from my escapades!

Friday 9 March 2012

labourer's cap a.k.a. the Monmouth museum cap

So as my A&S competition entry this year I decided to work on a simpler and quicker project than the warp weighted loom weaving I did for last year's entry (which incidentally took a year's worth of weaving).  This is one of the largest gauges I've seen in pre-1600 knitting.  According to Richard Rutt, one stitch per centimetre.  As to whether this item was also fulled to the point of shrinkage or not seems to be up on debate.  That would mean the gauge was originally bigger.  However, the stitches are quite distinct so I'm inclined to think it was either fulled only to increase water resistance or simply fulled through use.  The image from the museum (http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/large/item/GTJ01788/) I have found to be very helpful in deciphering the construction.  The first of my attempts is based mainly on Rutt's interpretation and I've found some major oversights in his pages.  Such as cast-on method he thinks may have been used or where the cast on takes place.  Whether it's cast on at the inside part of the brim and knit as one piece, or cast on at the edge and picked up later to make the inside brim is not stated.  The "button" is not defined.
I decided to pick up at the bottom edge after a knitted cast on for the main body of the hat.  It does not produce the edge shown in the museum picture.  I knew it wouldn't but I wanted to show the progression of my research and experimentation.  Believe me, knowing this wasn't the right method did not sit well with my OCD, lol.  After speaking with several ladies on Ravelry my second attempt will look much more authentic to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment